Mexico is one of the most visited travel destinations in the Americas yet most people do not ever get the chance to visit the “real” Mexico. Most people visit the resorts in places like Cancun, Puerta Vallerta and Mazatlan and miss out on the great natural wonders and the beautiful history of this country. Yes there are loads of last minute vacation deals in Mexico, and you should take advantage of the if you can. However, the truth is that getting out of the resorts and travelling inland will give visitors to Mexico a great feel for that country so often missed. In the Central Valley, Mexico City imposes its will while smaller cities like Taxco shine in colonial glory. In the south of the country historically radical cities like Oaxaca are must visits, and of course the country’s coasts are worth spending time on. Getting to know the “real” Mexico can be one of the most rewarding travel experiences.
As usually these guides are not facts carved in stone, but rather “guides” things change over time: hotels shut down, restaurants disappear and good activities pop up. If you spot something in your travels that doesn’t correlate with these guides please let me know by leaving a comment in the comment section of that particular destination.
***Warning*** The northern reaches of Mexico, near the border with the United States, are struggling greatly at the moment with a fight against the drug trade. Travel to most of those regions is not recommended at the moment even though the violence is not generally targeted at travellers. The rest of the country is fairly “business as usual”. Take the usual precautions when travelling in a developing country and you will be fine.
- Currency: The Peso. 1 USD is about 12.5 Mexican Pesos. USD are widely accepted as well.
- Capital: Mexico City
- Backpacker’s Budget: $35-45 USD/day
- Best Time of Year to Visit: Good year ’round. Avoid places like Cancun during hurricane season which is generally Late August to early November.
- Best Adventure: Hiking the Copper Canyon
Mexico Travel Guides
- Acapulco (coming soon)
- Copper Canyon (coming soon)
- Guadalajara (coming soon)
- Mexico City (coming soon)
- Oxaca (coming soon)
- Playa del Carmen (coming soon)
- Taxco (coming soon)
General Mexico Travel Information and Advice
- General Travel Information (coming soon)
- Recommended Travel Routes (coming soon)
Back to the North America Travel Guides or Central America Travel Guides