I’ve been busy trying to get out of Morocco, so this note is delayed a bit. But, I wanted to clear some thoughts up so there are no misunderstandings moving forward.
Also, I won’t be using the c-word in this post. Google has been punishing people’s websites who use the term for the virus – and for good reason. They’re trying to curb the fake articles, those giving poor medical advice, and those trying to profit off the crisis. It makes sense. But, for the purpose of this article, I’ll be be referring to it only as “The Crisis”.
Ok. So here’s what’s happening with my photography tours.
Current Postponed Trips
On March 11th when flight cancellations and travel quarantines were put in place, Thomas Heaton and I decided to postpone our trips to both Patagonia and Peru. At the time, it was a tough call to make. And, it felt like an over-reaction at the time. Looking back, it was the right move. There’s no way these tours would be able to run right now. Those trips aren’t cancelled, they’re postponed until basically the same dates in 2021.
How do trip postponements work? I’ll explain it in a bit.
After Patagonia and Peru, we still have the following trips in 2020:
- Iceland Summer Camping in June
- Georgia Adventure in July
- Greg Trips in:
- Namibia in both September and October
At this time, I don’t think any of them will be cancelled. But, we really don’t know, do we. It would be absurd for me to act like I did.
Personally, I think things will clear up by the end of April. And these trips will all depend on what the governments decide relating to borders being open. For example, Iceland’s borders are still open to tourists. Whether it’s ethical to travel right now is a whole other question.
What Happens with a Postponement?
When a trip gets postponed, the participants are given 3 options:
- All payments will carry over to the new tour dates. Or payments, can be moved to another trip.
- Cancel and receive 50% of that paid in refund, and 50% in credit to a future trip.
- Cancel and receive an 80% refund.
What about a Cancelled Trip?
If I cancel a trip outright, the participants have 2 options:
- A full refund issued within 7 days.
- The option to forward any amount paid to a future trip. The rest of which will be refunded within 7 days.
Crisis Time Cancellation Policy
Normally, I charge a fee for cancellations. That fee (as outlined in my terms and conditions of payment) is 10% of a deposit paid, or 20% of a full payment – as long as cancellation is made at least 90 days prior to the tour start date. Any cancellation within 90 days of the tour start date results in a loss of all payments.
This policy has changed for the time being to:
During the Time of Crisis
During this time of crisis, I’m putting in a lenient refund policy because no one knows what’s going to happen.
From now until the end of July, there will be no fee cancellations on deposits regardless on how late you cancel. Moreover, final payments are delayed until just 10 days before the trip start date. This way, there’s no risk to waiting to see what happens. Any cancellation on final payments will result in 80% refund + 20% credit to a future trip.
No Risk Deposits
Moreover, since I don’t want people worrying about losing deposits, any deposit made between now and the end of July is penalty free. If you pay a deposit on a future trip between now and July 31st, and you need to cancel for whatever reason, the full deposit will be refunded regardless the reason for canceling.
Deposits made previous to the pandemic still incur a 10% fee. Or, may be transferred onto a future trip.
I also want to give a bit of advice here.
If you ever book any travel, tour, flight, or what-not, you should buy travel insurance immediately after booking. I’ve personally made the mistake when I buy my insurance right before actually travelling.
For example, if you book a trip to Iceland in June on March 30th, go and book your travel insurance for your travel dates immediately. That way, if there’s a travel disruption between the time of booking and the time of your trip, you’re covered.
I highly recommend World Nomads for this. They have been fantastic to deal with every time I’ve had to deal with them.
Future Trip Announcements?
For the time being, I’m not going to make any trip announcements. We had announcements planed for a Greg trip to Patagonia and a Portugal retreat. But, I’m going to hold off on those until we get a little bit more clarity on how things are going to pan out with this crisis.
But, if you want information on those future trips as they become available, be sure to sign up below.
My Personal Plan
I’m a big believer that the longer we all dilly-dally around the issue, the longer this will last. If we universally just take a break for 2 weeks, I think we’ll come out of this quickly.
But, I’m also a big believer in freedoms and liberties. I’m also not an expert. So I’ll never give advice.
Personally, I’m planning on spending 7-14 days in isolation with Jodie and her family. Then, if allowed by government policy, I might go on isolating mini-trips to some landscape locations in places like Cornwall and Devon. I think you if you pack lunches, and sleep in your car, you are probably just as isolated this way, as at home. But, we’ll see how things go.
Stay Safe, Your Health is My Priority
Do I want you to travel with me in the future? Yes.
But, above and beyond your health is my priority. If you’ve ever been on a photography tour with me in the past, you know that I care about you all. I really do. There will not be trips taking place until I can assure that to be the case. Please, stay safe. And as I said in the YouTube Video I’ll leave you with below, “please don’t spread the virus, or the panic. If we don’t do either of those things, we’ll all be fine.”
Stay safe. I’m sending you all my love.