I get asked all the time about the photography gear I pack as a travel photographer. Well, there’s not better way to show it all off than via video.
I think that people are most interested in the fact that my camera gear is not quite as top-end as they’d expect. I really don’t have much money at all, and any extra disposable income I make goes directly into travel or photography gear. I obviously have to make some concessions to get by a bit. The things I don’t compromise on, in regards to cost, are the long lenses. If you need to be shooting 200mm, don’t waste your time with a lens that only goes f/6.3 or f/5.6. The one thing I keep compromising on is the body as it seems to be the most disposable aspect to my photography gear.
This is the short list of what I pack:
- Canon 6D: http://amzn.to/2dGO0Us
- Sony A6300 w/ 16-50mm: http://amzn.to/2dpB6YO
- DJI Phantom 4: http://amzn.to/2dpA9ju
- GoPro Hero 5 Black: http://amzn.to/2lZkKrW
- Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS: http://amzn.to/2dpzApC
- Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS: http://amzn.to/2dpA9zP
- Canon 50mm f/1.4: http://amzn.to/2dou35n
- Sigma MC-11 Adapter: http://amzn.to/2dPfYtf
- Lee Filter Kit: http://amzn.to/2dPhmMG
- 3 Legged Thing Albert Tripod: http://amzn.to/2dpARxa
- Joby Gorilla Pod: http://amzn.to/2dpA3bE
- ThinkTank HeliPak: http://amzn.to/2dpBoyV
- LG G5: http://amzn.to/2cPNkuV
Now that’s obviously not a complete view of all the gear I pack with me, but rather a list of my photography gear. I also carry all sorts of accessories.
In total, my suitcase weighs 22 kilos and my camera bag that comes as a carry-on with me weights 13 kilos. That’s a solid 35 kilos or 100 pounds of photography gear.