This week I’ve been working hard on finalizing the next leg of my journey. My plan is to fly into Dublin, Ireland and then work my way south through Western Europe and into Africa via Spain. The truth is that I simply don’t have much time getting to Africa, I want to beat the summer heat and tourists in the north and the rains in the south. Travelling at a pace beyond a crawl isn’t exactly my travel M.O. but in this case appears to be the only way. Of all the countries that I plan on spending time in Spain is perhaps the one I am most looking forward to. Perhaps it’s because I feel so connected to the country do to its presence in my studies of Latin America, or maybe because it’s the only European country I know anything about.
I don’t have nearly as much time in the country as I had hoped, I might have 2, maybe 3 weeks at best. I’m obviously going to have to skip somethings. Of course, I would love to visit all the quaint little country towns or go on one of those fancy Majorca holidays, but it’s just not something that’s possible in that small fame of time. As such, I’ve come up with a much simpler to complete wishlist for my time in Spain.
- Eat lots of Tapas: I love tapas, I could eat nothing but tapas for the rest of my life and be completely happy. It’s the luxury of no having to decide on a meal, but eat many different things at once that intrigues me so much.
- La Sagrada Familia: I have seen my fair share of churches in my life, and to be honest most have lost their charm. However, a church of this size and grandeur must not be missed.
- Get in Touch with South American History: It seems strange, I know, to be interested in another region’s history while exploring Spain. But the Spanish had such a huge influence on South America where I have devouted so much time and energy understanding. I feel like Spain might finish putting the pieces of the puzzle together for me.
- Plaza de Espana: I’ve seen Latin American plazas, but none seem as impressive as this one. I can’t wait for the opportunity to photograph it.
- Boat to Morocco: Hoping the boat and crossing to another continent is amazing to me. And from Spain to Morocco is but a short journey. That boat ride means more to me than just a trip, it means the start of my Africa journey. I can’t wait.