This is now old hat, to find out how I did on keeping these goals, check out my 2013 New Year’s Resolutions.
- Volunteer: As I was looking back at 2011 I came to the embarrassing realization that I hadn’t done a complete day of volunteer work the entire year. I always feel like one should be giving back to the community and have decided to make that a priority this upcoming year. I will be in Haitithis February and then West Africain the spring, I can’t think of better places to fulfill the first of my resolutions. Hummingbird at the feeder in Arizona – Click to Enlarge
- Take a Picture a Day: I have wanted to take part in the “365 days of photos” challenge for a long time and this year I will finally try to do it. This challenge is much more difficult to complete than it sounds like it should be. Moreover, shooting an “interesting” photo every day is the real goal. There are days that I just don’t feel like lugging my camera around, or leaving the hotel to take a picture at all, however this resolution should force me to do so; or at least take a photo of the hotel. I will posting my photo a day to my facebook fan page.
- Never Say No to a New Food: I’ve eaten Tarantula, Guinea Pig and many other “unusual” food types in my day. I have rarely been one to ever turn down a meal or a challenge. However, this year if I find something I haven’t tried, I will try it no questions asked. So if you see me on the road feel free to take me up on this challenge.
- Work Out More Often: I never get fat, it’s my one and only talent. However, over the past year I’ve lost quite a bit of my muscle mass and I’m a little bit out of shape. I want to stop using travel as an excuse for why I’m not being healthier. I am creating a “hotel room workout” which I will hopefully employ with some sort of routine. No more excuses for me, time to get back to work.
- Call my Grandparents More Often: I am very independent, perhaps too independent, and sometimes I forget that people that care about me worry sometimes. Seeing my grandparents this Christmas reminded me that I need to better maintain that relationship. The New Year calls for more skype and regular phone calls back home.
- Remember/Relearning How to Speak French: I was in French Immersion school in Canada, meaning that nearly all my courses (Math, Science, etc.) were in French rather than English. However, I haven’t really had the chance, or need, to speak the language for 10 years. Now that I’m heading to France, and later West Africa, I need to hit the books and remember the language I once spoke very well.
What are your New Year’s Resolutions???