Can someone please tell me what this “sleep” thing is that everyone keeps talking about? I don’t think I’ve had a proper night in about a month. Not that I’m complaining though. Not sleeping means that there are much more exciting things going on.
Over the past two months I’ve travelled across 11 counties, taken countless photos, written far too many articles and all the while producing the latest issue of my travel magazine “Vagabundo Magazine.” I feel very lucky to have had this opportunity.
All bragging aside, publishing this issue was a completely different game than the first one. I was basically all alone in publishing the first issue; I taught myself inDesign and I put everything together myself. This issue I had a great group of people helping me out. I am especially happy to have had one of the Vagabundo interns, Luis Alvarez do the design work, because – let’s face it – I am perhaps the worst designer in the history of the world and I think I proved that in the first issue. Luis’ work on this magazine successfully illuminates my vision of having a very photo-centric magazine with a clean professional look. I’m sure you’ll see a massive difference in this issue in that regard.
I also feel very luck to have had the help of 4 other people. My associate editor Will Peach has been great in promoting the product through as many streams as possible as well as running a good portion of the website work. Furthermore, editing interns Sarah Kloke, Jackie DesForges, and Ed Rex have been amazing in putting every bit of spare time they have into this project. I can’t thank them enough.
Ok, enough cheesy talk. Let’s get to the magazine.
After hearing from a number of people last issue that they wish they could get the magazine in print, even if it was a little more expensive, I decided that I would publish the magazine with MagCloud, as well as in its usual digital form. We don’t set the price, and it is a little high due to the fact that they are essentially printing single issues for us. However, the quality tests we have done have come back amazing and we’re really excited about it.
I have taken a random bunch of pages from the magazine and stuffed them in a preview for you to check out. The way you are previewing the magazine is exactly how you will view it if you buy the digital download.
Table of Contents
- Dubai: Behind the Glitz, Glam and Glass by Genevieve Hathaway
- Malawi: Keeping Pace with the Porters by Gemma Howe
- Hope in the Face of Haiti by Brendan van Son
- Photo Corner: Exposing the Work of Matt Gibson
- Balasz and Budapest by Bike by Jackie DesForges
- Traveller Interview: Rager Against the Tourism Machine
- Shutter Spot: Havasu Canyon, London Parliament, Kaole Ruins
- Eating our Way Around the World: Pizza in Paris, Off-Beat Austin, The Faces of Tokyo
- Vagabundo Photo Contest
- Buy the Spring digital issue for $1.99
- Buy the Spring digital issue on Kindle for $2.99
- 6-Issue digital Subscription $7.99
- Buy a Print Copy for $20 (you also get a free instant digital download with purchase)