Ahhh Guatemala. The simple name read to me takes me back. I’m not exactly sure what it is about the country but there is nowhere else like it. If you were to ask me which was the one and only one country you had to visit in Central America this would be it. Guatemala has just about everything you could ever want in a travel destination: it has the great ruins of Tikal, colonial city of Antigua, indigenous culture and absolutely stunning scenery from coast to coast. And the best part about Guatemala? For what it is, it is still completely under-travelled. At certain times of year you can have places like Tikal all to yourself even though, in my opinion, the site is more impressive than the Great Pyramids of Giza.
Guatemala will call visitors back time and time again because there is just something special about this Central American country. If you’re on the fence about travelling to Guatemala get off of it because there is no destination that can move you the way that Guatemala can.
As usually these guides are not facts carved in stone, but rather “guides” things change over time: hotels shut down, restaurants disappear and good activities pop up. If you spot something in your travels that doesn’t correlate with these guides please let me know by leaving a comment in the comment section of that particular destination.
Quick Guatemala Information
- Capital: Guatemala City
- Currency: Quezal (1 Q = about 7.5 USD. USD widely accepted and most ATMs offer money in USD as well)
- Best of the Beaten Path Destination: Huehuetenango
- Best Time to Go: Any time really, try to avoid the North American summer (July-August) as it gets busy.
- Best Adventure: Jungle hike near Tikal to hidden ruins.
Guatemala Destination Guides
- Antigua (coming soon)
- Chichicastenango (coming soon)
- Finca Ixobel (coming soon)
- Flores / Santa Elena & Tikal (coming soon)
- Guatemala City (coming soon)
- Huehuetenango (coming soon)
- Panajachel (coming soon)
- Puerto Barrios (coming soon)
General Guatemala Travel Information and Advice
- General Travel Information(coming soon)
- Recommended Travel Itineraries(coming soon)
- Photos of Guatemala(coming soon)
- Tips for Safe Bus Travel in Guatemala(coming soon)
Back to the Central America Travel Guides