18 Random Thoughts While Trekking Torres del Paine, Chile
Trekking alone is often one of the greatest methods of having ingenious thought. Actually, doing just about anything alone and without the distractions of technology generally leads to these thoughts. I tend to have these ideas and clear thoughts on long bus rides, but I tend to forget them as soon as I arrive. This time, I made a point to write down all my thoughts. However, the problem is that I found myself entertaining myself more than I was finding genius. Here are my 18 random thoughts from trekking Torres del Paine National Park, in the south of Chile, and some photos to go along with it all.
1. Food always weighs less in the stomach than in the backpack… but it always ways the same on your hips.
2. No matter how cool they look, basketball shoes are no replacement for hiking shoes… even if they are Jordan’s.
3. A man will always try to stand up to 100km/h winds with a 15kg pack on his back… even while standing on the edge of a 200m high cliff.
4. A hiking buddy once told me that the best way to get to the top of a hill is to keep telling yourself there is something you want at the top… Unfortunately, I only find myself more and more pissed off with each hill as I discover time and time again that Jessica Alba isn’t up there.
5. I have discovered the absolute best way to keep mice away, smell as bad as I do… note, this also works for women and employment.
6. Packing wine is heavy… Pack whiskey instead it has higher alcohol value.
7. I wish there was ice cream on hiking trails… I would pay 80 dollars for a drumstick right now.
8. Trekking poles might reduce strain on the knees… But add double to your arms.
9. Some people hike way to fast… slow down enjoy the view. Here, have some whiskey.
10. When walking alone for days anything that moves is terrifying… especially rabbits.
11. I definitely prefer going up more than down… when I know my finally destination is up.
12. Dear Inca trail… send your porters to Torres del Paine I’m tired!
13. Trekking would be much more enjoyable if done in the company of a women’s beach volleyball team… and they would carry me.
14. It is completely possible to eat nothing but chorizo sausage and crackers… healthy? maybe not; possible: yes.
15. There is nothing like solitude when trekking… to realize how tiny you really are.
16. Whoever designed trekking paths was definitely on a horse… and left their poop scattered everywhere.
17. I don’t care how good your equipment is Germany, there is such thing as bad weather… and I found it.
18. There is no greater guide to creative thinking then hiking alone for 4 days… it’s too bad I can never remember my great thoughts at the end of it.